Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Contemplating Dad.

Well, my Dad would have turned 59 on Sunday the 14th of September. It's crazy to think it has been 4 years since I lost him to a heart attack. It's crazy to think about those who do not have the knowledge we have and if I hadn't, I wonder where I would be today. I love what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints teaches us about what happens after we die. It is a comfort to know that I will see my Dad again. I'm glad I had him for 29 years of my life before he had to go. I do wish that my children knew him more. Jonah and Gavin were pretty young. Jonah remember's him as the "tickle monster" who would show him the "scarey door" (their garage door sounded like a monster when it would open). Gavin, I don't think remembers very much as he was not quite 2 when he passed. I'm sure Breck knew him in Heaven but probably won't remember that until after her life on this earth.

I feel for everyone who has lost a loved one. It isn't easy to do. Sometimes is sucks really bad. Sometimes it is hard not to be mad or jealous when you hear someone say,"My Mom or Dad had cancer and now they are ok." or "My Dad had a heart attack but is still alive." I know it sounds sick. It is just true sometimes. I just feel it isn't fair sometimes, that's all.

On a happier note, he was a fabulous Dad who was really funny and smart.

I found some pictures of him and me together recently. I had to take a picture of the pictures so I could upload them. I didn't have a digital camera back then. I don't think they were invented yet. (It was 10 years ago!!)

Well, those were my feelings today:)


Here is my Dad in our boat we had many years ago at Table Rock Lake. I loved it when he wore his hat backwards. (it was so it wouldn't fly off into the water)

This is my and Dad at my Provo reception for Jake's family and friends.


This was at my CA reception in our backyard.

12 people admit to reading this:

Robyn said...

Oh I love that picture of dad in the backwards hat too. He loved driving the boat. I love his smile. I wish I had more pictures of him. I miss him so much.

Kelly said...

Sorry Dana, I am slow - you are on the side now. :)
This is a really neat post - I wish I had been able to meet your dad.

loubige said...

Dana, I love that picture of your dad in the boat. Sorry that he is gone, I don't know how it feels, but everything you wrote seems like things I would feel too.
I love the memories that I have with you and your dad, they aren't a lot but they are all good ones.
Lou

Val said...

Oh, that's sweet Dana. I've been to funerals before that are not LDS and it's amazing the difference. Although I'm sure death is still so difficult.

PS - we have an awesome scanner if you ever want to use it to scan pictures in you're welcome to.

Rachel said...

You are so blessed to have had such a great relationship with your dad. He sounds like a really great guy. And I love the wedding pics!

Craig and Janalyn said...

Dana I remember when you wrote about your dad last year and I was a total mess!!! I cried my eyes out for you cause you lost your dad. I can't even imagine the emotions you feel. But I love to see your face light up when you talk about your dad. And I love the pics you posted.

Andrea Holley said...

I know how you feel Dana. It's a little weird but it makes me a little sad too when I hear about people who have parents that survive cancer because my mom didn't. My mom died 3.5 years ago. It's fun to see pictures of you and your dad.

Kelly said...

Dana I won't ever forget that phone call you and I had about your dad passing. It was such a shock. You should know he is extremely proud of you and the Willis fam! You have been a huge example to me during the trials you have endured in your life(and I like going out to eat with you too!)

Freddy and Mandy said...

I loved your dad. Still do! He was one of the few men that really had a big impact in my life. He did so much for my family and me personally. He truly was the perfect example of man who was absolutely in love with family, respected his priesthood, and loved those around him. It reflects in his children!

The White House said...

I think it's wonderful that you can share your feelings about your father and keep your experiences with him a part of your's and your families life.

Kira said...

Nice tribute. Love the wedding pictures!

Lori said...

I miss your dad, he was such a great example of a father, and I know a few times when my Dad was busy your Dad was always there to pitch in, like taking us both to Ricks. He will always be remembered with me and my fam. miss him!